Benefits of Exercise
What benefits do you gain from doing exercise?
The benefits of exercise are wide ranging. Many people think that exercise is only beneficial for your physical health. But as you will see below exercise is not only beneficial for your physical health, but also for your mental and your emotional health.
If you think back to times when you have been really stressed but then went out for a walk, how did you feel? Did it change how you were feeling? Did you feel better, get more perspective about your situation?
In most cases you might well feel refreshed and balanced. The stress you had been feeling might fall away or even disappear. This is the power of exercise and can work as a great stress relief.
• Exercise improves your levels of physical health
• Exercise changes how you feel
• Exercise helps to clear your mind and balance you out mentally
1. Benefits of Exercise: Improves Physical Health
What are the physical health benefits to exercise? According to Bupa, the benefits are as follows:
• Doing regular exercise can help you to manage your weight and to lose weight.
• Exercise can help to reduce the risk of heart and coronary disease. Research has shown that inactive people are twice as likely to have heart disease as those who are active.
• Exercise helps to promote healthy blood sugar levels and this in turn helps to prevent or control diabetes.
• Having poor blood sugar levels can lead to damage to your eyes, nerves, kidneys and arteries.
• By doing exercise you can help to help to reduce high blood pressure (hypertension). And by having high blood pressure you are more prone to heart attacks and strokes.
• By doing exercise you help to build your bone density and therefore help to protect against weak bones and osteoporosis.
• Exercise can help to reduce the risk of certain cancers. Research has shown that exercise helps to protect against colon and breast cancer. Other research has shown that exercise can reduce the risk of lung cancer as well.
• There is more probability of lower back pain or joint pain if you don't do exercise.
• Studies have shown that regular exercise like brisk walking or running is linked to having higher levels of HDL (good cholesterol)
• Regular exercise can help you to sleep better as the body is more physically tired.
2. Mental Benefits of Exercise
What benefits do you get mentally from doing exercise?
• Research has shown that people who do exercise regularly are less likely to get clinical depression.
• According to Bupa, some studies show that exercise is at least as effective in dealing with depression as a talking therapy or medicines.
• Exercise can help to boost your self-image and improve inner confidence.
3. Emotional Benefits of Exercise
How about emotionally? How does exercise help you to feel differently emotionally?
• Exercise can make you feel more stable emotionally and generally happier and less stressed.
• Exercise can help you to release built up emotions like anger, frustration or fear in a positive way.
• People who exercise are generally more satisfied with life and more emotionally balanced because they have an outlet for their emotions.
Sign up for the FREE Relieving Stress Today Newsletter to learn more about stress management. This monthly newsletter is packed with valuable tips and advice, discounts and freebies, stress relief stories and feature articles on the art of well-being and stress management. Your email address is completely safe and you can unsubscribe at any time.